Getting Back to my real life

Leaving this group and leaving Oaxaca is very, very hard. Each day was such a delight, it didn't always turn out the way I planned, but who cares? Whatever happened was better. The last dinner party Jake planned moved us from the roof to inside because the group got larger...it turned out to be chilly that night and we were better off inside. The meeting Yasmine, Scott and I planned with an artist didn't work out but 3 seconds later we discovered the orchestra was rehearsing the concert we were going to miss (so we sat looking at the mountains and heard the whole concert for free). The pool we thought we'd swim in rained us out, so we sat having a wonderful lunch under the vine trellis. It was like that every day.Visiting Asar-O the protest artist group. We each bought a print, (100 pesos, 13 pesos to the dollar). That morning we received an e-mail that the Princeton Museum of Art just bought 39 of their prints. Oh to be so cutting-edge!
Last dance for me and Dr. Spores.
The amazing free concert, the bass guitar had 6 strings. The percussion section had bongos.
Nosferatu Travis. But we love him.
Dr. Stephanie Wood gets her new dress at the party. The band got rained out at one point.
Spooky remains in the Museo Anthropologia. The exhibition designer made you walk down stairs into the "tomb". Well done.
Out in the garden that surrounds the museum.


We had our farewell party with brass band, dancing (see me and my crush, Dr. Spores) food and Zak's new "stick Travis" which has evolved into Alebrijes Travis but bares a resemblance to Nosferatu Travis. Like I said, whatever turns out is just better.

On the way home I had a long layover at the Mexico City airport. I have traveled on subways in many cities and figured this one couldn't be that different. I had to switch twice and it took over an hour but I made it to the Museo Anthropologia. What a palace! The artifacts from all the sites we went to, the stelae in the adjoining tropical gardens, the tombs you have to climb down stairs to get into (spooky!). This was all accomplished with the kindness of the Mexican people. They never let me down when I had need of directions. One man led me all the way to the next train and it wasn't even the train he needed to get on.

This was a experience that will be with me forever. Viva Mexico!

Mucho Gracias! Last Mexico Post. Pearl

Comments